Do we as Black people “segregate” ourselves and is “segregation” always bad?

09:58

I’m not sure if many of you have seen the interesting video of Stacey Dash commenting on the lack of diversity at the Oscars.  If you haven’t she stated  that “We have to make up our minds, either we want segregation or integration and if we don’t want segregation then we need to get rid of channels like BET and the BET awards”. I COMPLETELY disagree with everything she said, I believe that niche channels are needed because a specific target audience isn’t being represented on television. From children/teenager channels, Asian channels, nearly every social group of people has a channel for them. 

Which leads me to ask, can we say that niche channels like BET are an example of segregation? We can’t. The only reason channels like BET are set up is because Black individuals aren’t represented in the mainstream media and if we are, we see the same stereotypical story line all the time. 

But the video made me ponder on segregation and whether or not I have been segregating myself.  in society. Pretty much since secondary all my friends have been Black or ethnic. I’m not sure if it’s because I felt the need to cling on to people “like” me or because I wanted to be with people who shared the same traditions and values as me, or because it happened naturally. But I think it’s a hybrid of both. Also I think somewhere inside, I just saw it as easier to stick with people, who looked like me…

The idea of sticking to your own resonated with me as I came to university. Compared to the White people at my university, I have a very different uni experience to them. I’ve never been to a so called “white club”, I don’t have that many white friends and when I was in first year I barely went to any other societies other than the African and Caribbean Society. It’s not that I wouldn’t enjoy doing  any other things but I believe it’s because I want to be comfortable.  Coming from one of the most ethnically diverse cities (London) to a university that is only 3% Black, it was a bit of an eye opener. to see so many White faces. So I think it was natural for me to “cling to my own”. However I don’t necessarily see this as a bad thing. I believe that it only becomes a bad thing when you don’t try to make effort with making friends outside your race. 

I remember speaking to a White boy on this issue and him saying it’s OUR fault that we’re not included in society because we segregate ourselves. I then gave him the example of him going to an all Black university, with clubs that only favoured the Black population and he said he would make the effort to speak to everyone (easier said than done lol). 

But in the same way that niche channels like BET are needed, societies like ACS are very much needed as we’re rarely represented within the larger student union. Club nights that cater to a Black majority are needed as we don’t have clubs that cater to wider audiences. Personally I believe the problem that might appear with “segregation” is when you ONLY stick with your ethnicity all the time. Because then you’’ start to create some sort of ethnic bubble and when that bubble is popped, it will become extremely uncomfortable for you which is something I found realised in my first year of university.

By not making effort to speak to White individuals, we generalise them. Not all white people are ignorant or even racist.
Also, we have to be realistic, we live in England. When we graduate, most of us won’t be working with a majority of ethnic people, so we need to learn how to still be ourselves without feeling uncomfortable. Which is why I’ve taken the steps to get out of my comfort zone and start to speak to people who I probably wouldn't of spoken to before and not just in terms or race.




SO, can I then say that by me only choosing to be with Black individuals and associating myself with societies related to my culture, is segregation? No, as I stated before it’s highly needed and necessary, however let’s be open to other cultures and not keep ourself within a bubble..

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images